Monday, November 28, 2005

Row 69


Well, I am finally coming to the end of the pattern on our pillow. I had a difficult time trying to figure out how to photograph it, so you could see it. I love the colors, and how they look together; that's the good news. The hmmmmm, of the moment is the fact that the yarn is thinner in some places than others, which causes an "open" look to the yarn at places. I am sure you will see the pillow form underneath--do you have any suggestions?
I also am interested in hearing about the process you used for blocking . . . I love to knit, but the finishing details of these projects . . . let's just say, I am not that great! As always, your input is much appreciated!

3 Comments:

Blogger semicynical said...

It looks great. I like your colours.

Will the thinness improve when you sew in the ends? I'm concerned about the pillow form showing through too, so I'm considering making a case out of brown broad-cloth. (Too bad I can't sew.)

I haven't blocked mine yet. In fact, I haven't touched it since I finished it oh so long ago. I think I'm going to use the approach I've used with chunky wools in the past. (It makes hard-core, talented knitters cringe, but it really works.)

Step one: Pin your work to your blocking board, which in my case, is my mattress.

Step two: Heat your iron at its highest setting

Step three: Get an old, all-cotton pillow case and soak it in water.

Step four: Wring out the pillow casee and lay it on top of your knitting.

Step five: When iron is hot, apply it to the pillow case with medium pressure and let the steam from the water in the pillow case soak through your work.

Step six: Resoak and wring the pillow case as required and repeat step five until your work has been completely blocked.

Step seven: Let the work remain pinned for 6-8 hours. This is, of course, problematic if your blocking board is your bed and you've started the process in the evening.

NOTES: This technique should not be used for work that has detailed stitch-work. It will flatten your lovely design.

6:34 PM  
Blogger MissyJoon said...

WOW! Please come to my house and perform this ritual for me! I am highly intimidated by ALL BLOCKING PROCESSES!!!
thank you for the directions. . . I'll give it a whirl, but I think I am going to need a cloth case too.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I haven't blocked mine yet either. It is sitting on the sofa pinned around a pillow form. And embroidery! Haven't touched it!

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home